This morning I crocheted together the last two rows. I then spent HOURS trying to get the border just right. First I tried a row of trebles which made it "expand out" and ripple the sides and misshape them. Then I tried a row of double which was also the same problem but made "holes" appear where I had crocheted the squares together. So I ended up doing a row of slip stitches which seemed to pull it all together quite tightly. After the row of slip stitches I did a row of treble crochet but working in the back loop of the previous row only to create a "border". I finished with a row of crab stitch.
106 African flowers made at home between May and July
38 African Flowers made in the caravan July & August
144 African flowers bordered in white at caravan in July & August
I got 29 flowers bordered from 1 ball of white wool, so, 144 flowers were bordered with 5 balls of white wool!
It took 1 ball of white wool (88 grams to be exact!) to crochet all the flowers together
In total I used 7 balls of white including the border
The 144 African flowers were made with the leftovers from doing 3 previous crochet blankets (very thrifty!)
African flower pattern can be found here
Mark just weighed it for me (yes I have digital scales in the caravan and yes they are mostly used for weighing wool!) and it weighs 1352 grams or 1.3 kilos which is the equivalent of 14 balls of wool!
Pictures to follow tomorrow in the daylight when I can spread it out properly but here is one for now as I am impatient :-)